05 May 2011

Hello, World!

Good morning, savvy artists! Allow me to tell you a little bit about myself and my purpose for this blog:

My name is Ally and I hold a BFA in Painting (minor in Art History) from MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art). I had the great privilege of graduating into the worst economy since the great depression. I can even remember at the beginning of my senior year hearing professors talk about how bad they felt for my class--what on earth would we do when we graduated with the economy in the state that it was? Well, folks, let me tell you, it was tough. It still is. And now that I've gotten over my fun-filled mental breakdown (more on that later), I'm back to my old self and trying to figure out: what on earth will I do with the economy in this state??!

Soooo, I've picked up painting again and let me just say: thank goodness! I didn't realize how miserable I was not painting and drawing on an almost daily basis. Just having a release of creative energy regularly has been incredibly therapeutic. But you know what's not helping? Prices. I have never, in my life, seen prices as high as they are on art supplies. I thought when I got my tax return this year that I would treat myself to some new paint brushes. So, naturally, I looked for sales and saw that Utrecht was having a huge spring sale. I logged on, tossed some brushes in my e-shopping cart and off I went to the e-checkout!

My order totaled over $100.

I nearly shat a mothafucking brick.

So! That brings me to the subject of my first post:
Homemade paintbrushes.

No comments:

Post a Comment